From the creator of popular food blog VickyPham.com, here are some delicious, traditional egg rolls. Pham’s specialty is Vietnamese home cooking. She currently resides in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband and children.
- 2 lb.-size 21-25 shrimp
- Peel, devein, set aside 10 shrimp and mince into paste for pork mixture
- 2 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 tsp. granulated white sugar
- 8 oz. ground pork
- Shrimp paste
- 1 green onion (sliced thin)
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp. granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 package egg roll wrappers (2 lb.)
- Oil for deep frying
- Sweet chili dipping sauce
- Set aside 10 shrimp. Marinate the rest of the shrimp with oyster sauce and sugar for at least 30 minutes.
- Mince the reserved 10 shrimps into a paste and combine with ground pork. Marinate the ground pork mixture with green onion, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil and black pepper for at least 30 minutes.
- Assemble the egg rolls. See step-by-step picture above.
- In a large pan, heat oil to 325°F. Deep fry for 3-5 minutes per batch. Remove and drain excess oil on wire rack or paper towels. Serve with a sweet chili dipping sauce.
Note: You can also assemble the egg rolls in advance and keep them in the freezer. No need to defrost once you are ready to fry. The cooking time will increase slightly.
This post is also available in: Tiếng Việt