A police officer working at Vancouver Airport on the day Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou was arrested two years ago testified on Monday that he found himself in a “very uncomfortable situation” as the point of contact for the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
The 48-year-old Meng returned to the Supreme Court of British Columbia on Monday for the final week of the witness cross-examination. This is part of an extradition case in the United States, amid news last week that her lawyers and US prosecutors held talks to reach an agreement for her return to China, reported signal the possibility of ending a case straining relation between the United States, China and Canada.
“After all, I’m not there to give information on behalf of the FBI. I am working as a member of the Royal Canadian Police RCMP,” said Sergeant Ross Lundie.
“Support the FBI – with my resume a very uncomfortable situation,” he added.
Lundie testified two weeks ago that he received at least two calls from FBI officials during the investigation and arrest of Meng.
He also told the court in his earlier testimony that the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) should be allowed to conduct an examination of Meng first, despite conflicting recommendations from headquarters.
On Monday, Lundie testified that he was concerned about the emergence of collusion between the CBSA and the RCMP during the lead to Meng’s arrest. He told the court it was “plausible” that the CBSA kept Meng’s electronic devices in her Mylar pocket – to block all signals – before the RCMP arrested her.
Lundie denied that the CBSA’s move blurred the lines between the RCMP’s investigation and CBSA’s investigation because the devices were never searched. “I consider it plausible,” Lundie said. “Nothing else has happened to those phones.”
In the weeks leading up to a cross-examination of witnesses, officials from the CBSA and the RCMP testified that the process leading up to Meng’s investigation and arrest was rapid, but according to the textbook.
Prosecutors argued that Meng’s extradition was valid and that the procedures were followed.
On Friday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the release of the two Canadians was his “top priority”, while declined to comment on negotiations to release Meng.
Meng’s case is scheduled to end in April 2021.
This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt