Prince Harry Wins “Significant Damages”, Gets Apology from U.K Tabloid Lawsuit

Britain’s Prince Harry has won an apology and substantial damages from the publishers of the Mail on Sunday after he sued the tabloid for libel over claims he had turned his back on the military when he ended his royal role.

Harry launched the legal action after an article in the paper in October said he had lost touch with the Marines, a commando force of the British navy with which he had a formal relationship until he stepped back from royal duties last March.

It added that Queen Elizabeth‘s grandson, officially titled the Duke of Sussex, had snubbed the armed forces and ignored correspondence from a former British military chief.

“All of these allegations are false as the Mail on Sunday and the Mail Online have accepted, albeit after considerable damage was already done,” his lawyer, Jenny Afia, told a remote hearing at London’s High Court on Monday.

The newspaper has agreed to compensate for the damage Harry will donate to the Invictus Games, an international sporting event he set up for servicemen injured during the match, she said.

Harry, who served in the armed forces for a decade and saw active service twice in Afghanistan before taking on the role of a full-time senior royal, had been appointed as Captain General Royal Marines by his grandmother in 2017.

However, as part of a negotiated deal with the queen and other high-ranking royals, he had to give up his title when he quit his official duties and moved to the United States with his wife, Meghan Markle, and their son Archie.

British media reported at the time he was upset at having to relinquish his military connections, which he highly valued.

“The baseless, false and defamatory stories … constituted not only a personal attack on the duke’s character but also wrongly brought into question his service to this country,” Afia said.

Harry and Markle’s relationship with Britain’s tabloid press has become increasingly hostile since they wed in 2018. Last April, the couple said they would no longer engage with four publications, including the Mail, accusing them of false and invasive coverage.

Harry’s libel case is separate from the action Markle, 39, is taking against the Mail on Sunday, which she is suing over articles that included parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle, in 2018.

Last month she asked the High Court to rule that the paper breached her privacy and copyright, without the need for a potentially embarrassing trial, which is scheduled for later this year.

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

#seesomething, saysomething

Culture Magazin magazine always wants to listen and receive contributions from readers.
In case you submit articles about your ideas, interesting social events or hot news that you would like to share with us, email us at info@culturerus.com or inbox us at the FB page – https://www.facebook.com/culturemagazin.
Try our test reporter once. Quality articles will be selected and posted on Culturemagazin’s website and official social networking sites!
#seesomething, saysomething

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt