Ontario Reports 95 New Cases of COVID-19, Fourth Consecutive Day of Fewer Than 100 New Cases

Continuing the positive trend of reporting fewer than 100 new cases of COVID-19, the Ontario Government reported that there were only 95 new cases of COVID-19 recorded as of Thursday, August 06, 2020. 

Currently, the province has reported a total of 39,714 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began in late January of this year. 

Despite almost nearing the 40,000 cases milestone, the province has reported that the number of active cases continues to decline as 159 cases were resolved as of today. 

In total, Ontario estimates that 90 percent of COVID-19 cases have been resolved in the province. 

Health Minister Christine Elliott said that 29 of the province’s 34 health units have reported five or fewer cases of COVID-19 after the province has processed more than 26,000 tests. 

Ontario’s Chief Public Health Officer, Dr. David Williams, says he hopes the daily number of positive COVID-19 cases continues to drop in the coming days. 

“I want to see our numbers under 50,” said Dr. Williams. “[We] might even be there next week.”

With almost all of Ontario officially in Stage 3 of the province’s COVID-19 economic reopening plan, public health officials continue to urge people to practice physical distancing, hand washing hygiene, and the use of masks or face coverings in public spaces. 

The Windsor-Essex region, which remained in Stage 2 of reopening, reported only five new COVID-19 cases following weeks of high case numbers due to community spread of the virus within the farming industry. 

The five new cases in the Windsor-Essex region marked the second consecutive day of low case numbers for the region with hopes that the region will be approved for Stage 3 reopening by next week. 

Ontario Government to spend $6 Million more on community safety

During the province’s daily press conference, Premier Doug Ford announced a new $6 million funding for the frontline community safety initiatives over three years with some of the funding going directly to police forces. 

The announcement came after Premier Ford recalled a recent spike in criminal activity across the province which included concerns from the tow truck industry as well as increases in domestic violence and shootings. 

“It breaks my heart,” said Premier Ford, referring to six shootings that occurred within 24 hours in Toronto last month. “It’s wrong, it’s unacceptable and it has to stop.”

According to the Premier, the new measures and funding are intended to combat drug trafficking and gang violence as well as to protect women and children across the province. 

The funding is said to have been taken from the hands of “bad guys” and will be made available to 16 police services across the province to implement strategies to combat gun and gang violence, human trafficking, and sexual violence and harassment. 

“These horrific crimes can create long-lasting trauma and it is vital we provide support,” said Jill Dunlop, Associate Minister of Children and Women’s Issues.

“The money for these projects comes from assets seized from criminals’ prosecutions,” added the Associate Minister of Children and Women’s Issues. 

Ontario has seen significant violence in the province, including gang activity in the tow-truck industry and a series of shootings despite the ongoing pandemic that had effectively shut down most parts of the province.

“Everyone is looking to resume a little more of a normal life,” said Premier Doug Ford. “But they can’t do that if they don’t feel safe.”

And he had a message for criminals: “My message to the criminals out there hasn’t changed: We’re coming after you, and we’ll throw the book at you and we’re going to put you behind bars,”

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

#seesomething, saysomething

Culture Magazin magazine always wants to listen and receive contributions from readers.
In case you submit articles about your ideas, interesting social events or hot news that you would like to share with us, email us at info@culturerus.com or inbox us at the FB page – https://www.facebook.com/culturemagazin.
Try our test reporter once. Quality articles will be selected and posted on Culturemagazin’s website and official social networking sites!
#seesomething, saysomething

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt