Ontario Extends State of Emergency until June 30 after another concerning spike in COVID-19 cases

The Government of Ontario has voted to extend the state of emergency on Tuesday afternoon after several hours of debating at Queen’s Park. 

The newly extended state of emergency will be in place until June 30 following the reports from the Ontario Health Ministry that 446 additional cases of COVID-19 occurred in the province. 

Under the province’s state of emergency, public health safety measures are in place such as the banning of social gatherings with more than five people who are not of the same household. 

Additionally, through the state of emergency order, restaurants and bars are prohibited from opening unless they are providing either takeout services or delivery services.

Solicitor-General, Sylvia Jones, told the legislation and reporters in attendance at Queen’s Park that “the fight is not over”. 

“I look forward to the day when all emergency orders can be lifted … that day is coming, speaker, but we’re not there yet.”

“We are acknowledging the adjustment and personal sacrifices must be continued to be made for a little bit longer.”

“We must not lose sight of what we are fighting for.”

Premier Doug Ford says the extension of state of emergency won’t slow down reopening of the province

Earlier on May 19, Ontario had announced the province is in the first stage of reopening, which allowed several businesses to reopen if they adhere to strict guidelines to ensure customer and employee safety. 

The Premier told reporters on Tuesday that the extension of the state of emergency will not be affecting the province’s plan to reopen. 

“We have to reopen safely, and I understand the problems these businesses are going through, but we are going as quickly as possible.” 

“No one wants to get the economy going more than I do. Once we start, we are going to go full steam ahead.” 

Ontario’s Health Minister Christine Elliott previously told reporters on Monday that the province “still needs to go some distance” before it can think about transitioning to stage two of the reopening plan. 

Due to the recent spikes in COVID-19 cases, the province had to delay announcements of allowing larger social gatherings and plans of moving to stage two of the reopening plan. 

As of Wednesday afternoon, there are 29,047 confirmed cases in Ontario, 22,811 of which have recovered, and more than 765,501 people who were tested for COVID-19.

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

#seesomething, saysomething

Culture Magazin magazine always wants to listen and receive contributions from readers.
In case you submit articles about your ideas, interesting social events or hot news that you would like to share with us, email us at info@culturerus.com or inbox us at the FB page – https://www.facebook.com/culturemagazin.
Try our test reporter once. Quality articles will be selected and posted on Culturemagazin’s website and official social networking sites!
#seesomething, saysomething

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

Toronto Pearson Airport to limit the number of people allowed to enter the terminal starting June 1

According to Robin Smith, a spokesperson for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA), a new policy at the Pearson International Airport will...

Ontario Government Giving $35M To School Boards in Pandemic Hotspots as Province Reports 615 New COVID-19 Cases

One month after Ontario schools have reopened for the new school year, the provincial government has announced it will be providing school...

IKEA to Open First Downtown Toronto Store in 2022

IKEA will open its first downtown Toronto store at 382 Yonge Street, on the northwest corner of Yonge and Gerrard Streets, located...

Alexa, do I have Covid-19?

Vocalis, a voice analysis company with offices in Israel and the United States, introduced its new invention. The company previously built a...

TRACKING COVID-19 CASES ACROSS CANADA as of April 21

Canada reported 1,379 new cases across Canada today bringing the national number of COVID-19 cases to 38,210, including 13,143 recoveries and 1,831. There...

GM Canada announces a tentative agreement for a $1 billion electric vehicle plant in Ontario

GM Canada has reached a tentative agreement with Unifor that if approved, it will invest 1 billion to convert its CAMI plant...

Announcing The Title “The best taste of Vietnamese soy sauce in 2019”

Dear readers, As informed in the magazine issue in April 2019, starting from the...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt