The province is implying that the Christmas break for children in school could be extended for the new year.
In a memorandum sent to the school board, Education Minister Stephen Lecce said that while COVID-19 transmission in schools remains “low”, they should be prepared for distance learning. after January 4th.
“We recommend that councils encourage students and staff to take home any materials they may request for distance learning prior to leaving school during the holiday season so that we can continue to prepare. ready for any situation,” said the memo.
Lecce further recommends that the school board continue to ensure that students and families are provided with the resources they need to successfully participate in distance learning work, including ensuring the availability of devices. Distance learning for all students.
The memo also indicates that the public health environment in the province is evolving rapidly and that they will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation, including an increase in hospital admissions and special care patients.
Last month, Lecce said there was no need to extend the Christmas break, pointing out Ontario schools have been “remarkably successful at minimizing outbreaks” during a second wave that has seen record-breaking daily counts, most notably in Toronto and Peel Region.
“We have consulted with the Medical Director of the Ministry of Health as well as the Public Health Metrics Sheet and determined that an extended winter break is not necessary at this time, due to security protocols. Ontario’s strong safety, low transmission rates and safety in our schools,” said Mr. Lecce again on November 18.
This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt