Hello! My name is Duc, the author of Ducan Kitchen – a food blog that specializes in Vietnamese vegetarian dishes. The name “Early Morning Salad” was taken from the way I presented the dish, with a burst of orange looking like a burst of morning sunshine. This salad will not only satisfy your eyes but your taste buds will also be awakened.
EARLY MORNING SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 60g beetroot
- 80g avocado
- One slice of orange (cut into small triangles)
- Pumpkin seeds (can be replaced by other seeds such as sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Dried fruit (for example raisins)
- One piece of rocket (this vegetable is bitter, so depending on your taste you can reduce the amount)
- Orange dressing
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare beetroot: Peel and dice into 1.5 cm pieces. Place in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Remember to add some salt to the water. Boiling beetroot will reduce its pungent smell, but you should not boil it too long.
- Scoop out avocado from skin. Then mash with lemon juice.
- Peel orange and slice into small triangles.
- This dish will have four layers:
- The first layer: Prepare a large plate and spread out a layer of rocket.
- Place a bottomless, round ring mould on the rocket to create an attractive round shape for the next layers.
- The second layer: Place the beetroot on top of the rocket, inside the mould.
- The third layer: Avocado, spread evenly and pressed down lightly.
- The last layer: Orange triangles.
- Remove the round ring mould after layering all the ingredients.
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds and dried fruit on top.
- Make dressing by mixing orange juice with extra virgin olive oil.
- Bring the salad to the table, pour on dressing, mix well and enjoy with your friends.
This salad not only has multiple layers but also a variety of flavours, including the mild, bitterness of rocket, the subtle sweetness of beetroot, the creamy avocado and the sourness of the lemon. There is also the sweetness of the orange and the orange sauce, the nutty taste of pumpkin seeds and the sweetness of dried fruit. This Early Morning Salad not only looks beautiful but tastes delicious.
By: Duc Nguyễn – Ducan Kitchen
This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt