Canada Extends Ban on Most Foreign Travellers to At Least July 31

Following the news of the European Union’s decision to reopen its borders and lift travel bans from certain countries, Canada’s travel ban order which barred entry to travellers who are not Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents has been extended for another month. 

The order which was set to expire at 11:59 p.m. on June 30, has been extended until July 31.

A spokesperson for the Canada Border Services, Rebecca Purdy, said in a statement that the decision to extend the travel ban until July 31 was due to public health reasons. 

The order, which was a part of several new measures introduced on March 16 to stop the spread of COVID-19, effectively banned most foreign nationals from entering Canada. 

While a few exceptions were made for aircrews, diplomats and international students, the ban would stop all non-essential travel to Canada. 

Government officials confirmed this afternoon that Canada will maintain the order that barred all foreign nationals from entering Canada rather than modifying the order to allow for certain countries, which the EU had done today.

The extended ban on foreign travellers entering the country joins other travel orders that have also been extended such as the order which prohibited non-essential travel between Canada and the U.S.

The decision to extend the ban came a day after the European Union had already announced that it has agreed to allow some tourists to enter the EU starting tomorrow. 

Of the 15 countries that the EU deemed “safe” for accepting travellers, Canada was also included in the list. 

Last week, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told Canadians he understands the frustrations associated with the order however he said that moving too quickly to relax the ban on international travellers could spark a second wave of COVID-19. 

“I understand how difficult this is and how frustrating this is for some people, but we know that reopening too quickly or carelessly would lead us to a resurgence that might well force us to go back into lockdown, to shut down the economy once again, and nobody wants that.”

“We are going to be very, very careful about when and how we start reopening international borders,” said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at a briefing on June 22.

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

Seniors will be receiving up to $500 in COVID-19 emergency aid in July

In his daily address to Canadians, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that seniors in Canada can expect COVID-19 emergency aid payments of...

Ontario to launch “Learn at Home” online program for students during school shutdown

Highlights of Ontario’s Minister of Education Letter:  Ontario is launching an online learning portal (website) for students to learn...

A Memorable Mountaintop View

Northern Vietnam is blessed by mother nature with beautiful blue-green waters, mountains, and majestic landscapes. Ninh Binh province is one example...

The Vietnamese Flavours Of Anh And Chi

For those who are nostalgic for the ancient atmosphere of restaurants in Vietnam, a visit to Anh and Chi restaurant in...

Ontario Records Fourth Straight Day of Decline in New COVID-19 Cases Despite Overcrowded Beaches and Massive House Parties

On Tuesday morning, health officials in Ontario have reported another dip in the number of new COVID-19 cases across the province for...

Ontario Pledges $500 Million to Improve Distancing and Ventilation Amid Concerns From Parents and Teachers

Amid the concerns and questions parents had about the province’s back-to-school plans, Education Minister Stephen Lecce announced there will be further funding...

3 million more US layoffs intensify fears of lasting damage

WASHINGTON — Nearly 3 million laid-off workers applied for U.S. unemployment benefits last week as the viral outbreak forced more companies to...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt