This content is also available in: Vietnamese
Held every four years, this is the first time Ontario (and the third time Canada) has the honor of hosting the Pan American. 6,135 athletes (45% being women competitors) from 41 nations will participate in 36 sports. 364 games will be held throughout various venues in the GTA. This is also the first ecologically-friendly game with net zero carbon footprint in all activities. Pachi the Porcupine – the games’ mascot – is expected to become the next big thing in the Canadian toy market.
The Games in Numbers
- $672 million was spent in venue upgrading and building.
- $760 million was spent in operating expenses including management and marketing.
- $709 million was spent to build the athletes’ village.
- $239 million will be spent on security.
- $90 million will be spent on transportation.
An estimated $2.57 billion will be spent on the games, the highest amount ever spent on any Pan American Games.