This content is also available in: Vietnamese

Aline Xuan Uyen - Apex Migration Legal Services Inc.
 Member of ICCRC #R416447

There are two types of visitor visas in Canada, a single entry visa and a multipleentry visa. Both are valid for a fixed period and cannot be used after they expire. A multiple-entry visa allows visitors to come and go from Canada, usually for six months at a time, without having to reapply. It is valid for up to 10 years, or one month before your pass-port expires, whichever comes first. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date on your visa. A single-entry visa allows you to come to Canada only once. After you leave Canada, excluding travel to the United States or the French territories of St. Pierre and Miquelon near Newfound-land, you will need a new visa to travel back to Canada.
A super visa is a multiple entry visa that allows parents and grandparents to visit their children and grandchildren in Canada. The child or grandchild in Canada must meet a minimum income requirement and provide a written statement that she or he will provide financial support for pa-rents and grandparents while they are in Canada. The parents or grandparents must have valid medical travel insurance for at least one year and they have to complete a medical exam before coming to Canada.
Currently, most visitors can stay up to six months when they first enter Canada. Visitors who wish to stay longer must apply for an extension, and pay a new fee. With the parent and grandparent super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status. The super visa allows multiple entries for a period from two to 10 years. The key difference is that the super visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years on initial entry into Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would have a status period for each entry of six months only.
A super visa requires the holder have medical insurance for at least one year. Be sure to remind your parents or grandparents to present the medical insurance policy with their passport and visa when they meet with the immigration officer at the Canadian border. Without the insurance, the immigration officer may treat the visa as a regular visitor visa, which only allows the holder to stay up to six months instead of two years.

Previous articleLove, Salted Coffee and Your Health
Next articleA New Era in Fashion
Aline Xuân Uyên
Aline xuân Uyên is an immigration specialist in Canadian immigration services with more than 12 years of experience in the field. She is a member of ICCRC (Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council) ID# R416447. Contact her at Apex Migration Services 416-679-8898.