This content is also available in: Vietnamese
This soup is especially fragrant, and visually stunning with gorgeous vibrant yellow cucurbit flowers, infused with the delicious taste of ground shrimp. It will deliver a rich, Southern Vietnam flavour.
- 20 cucurbit flowers
- ½ lbs. headless shrimps
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. seasoning powder
- ½ tbs. purple onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs. of scallion & cilantro, finely chopped
- Chicken stock (as desired)
- Clean the cucurbit flowers thoroughly, strip and discard the stems and the pistils, let dry.
- Peel & devein the shrimps, grind finely, add purple onion and ground pepper, then mix well to make a soft and chewy paste.
- Use a teaspoon to stuff the shrimp paste into the cucurbit flowers. Exert light force to make sure the paste sticks to the inside of the flower (but do not press down too hard because the thin flower might tear). Stuff the paste up to the top of the flower tube.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil, season as desired and add the stuffed cucurbit flowers. Wait until the broth boils again, add the cilantro and the ground pepper, then turn off the heat. Enjoy with hot, steamed rice.