This content is also available in: Vietnamese
The dish that “cô Ba” usually makes for her kids at home turns out to be a hit in the second season of Master Chef-Vietnam. People ask for the recipe and eagerly tried it out. Many say that pandan leaf sticky rice is already popular, and fried chicken wings dipped in fish sauce is also familiar dish, yet their combination is so fresh and delectable. For a home chef, perhaps a delicacy is created with her passion for gastronomy, her love for family, and the tastes from her childhood.
Recipe for pandan leaf sticky rice with fish sauce-dipped fried chicken wings.
- Glutinous rice 1kg
- Pandan leaves 1 batch
- Shredded coconut 1kg (or a can of coconut juice)
- Chicken wings 1 kg
- ½ cup of sugar
- Seasoning, salt, fish sauce, shallot, garlic
- A sheet of aluminum foil cut into a square
A. Sticky rice:
- Grind pandan leaves with two glasses of water, filter the dense liquid extract and put aside, soak glutinous rice with the diluted pandan water.
- Soak glutinous rice for 15 minutes, leave dried in a basket and mix with a teaspoon of salt.
- Place the sticky rice steamer on the stove, pour water on the lower pot and place glutinous rice on the above, sparing a hole for moisture to evaporate and cover up.
- Squeeze out coconut juice or use the canned coconut juice, pour into the pandan leaf extract, mix evenly.
- When the steamer is hot, remove the lid, pour half the pandan leaf extract and the coconut juice mixture over the glutinous rice, evenly mix and cover up.
- 15 minutes later, pour in the remaining pandan mixture (if the extract is poured various times the color of the sticky rice will be fine because the extract can deeply permeate), after the sticky rice is cooked, mix in half a cup of sugar, wait for 5 minutes until the sugar melts and set aside.
- Spread the foil sheets, scoop out a cup of sticky rice and wrap it tightly like we roll the sushi. Cut the roll.
B. Chicken wings
- Leave the wings full or cut their joints into smaller bites.
- Finely grind the shallot and the garlic to marinate chicken wings, add three teaspoons of seasoning.
- Pour some oil into a saucepan to fry the chicken wings. Set aside.
- Stir the shallot and garlic, add 6 teaspoons of fish sauce and 3 teaspoons of sugar, cook on low heat until the mixture is condensed. Dip the fried chicken wings into the sauce and evenly shake for the fish sauce to evenly cover the wings. Add pepper or chili sauce to the mixture if desired.
- To make the rice look better, spread some dried shredded pork and roll up like the photo below:
- To make the chicken skin crispier, squeeze some drops of lemon juice into the marinating mixture.
- Finely roll the sticky rice once it’s off the stove.
- To give the wings a nice color, add some chili sauce to fish sauce mix.